Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Everything's Bigger in... Africa

Sorry, Texas.

I've been trying to get a good internet connection so I could share our discovery from last week.  This was our excitement before class that Tuesday: a giant stick insect!  We'd had a hard rain, and Alec found this thing wandering around the central camp buildings.  I've never seen a walking stick like this!


For the record, Alec stands 6-foot-7, so for this bug to span the length of his forearm is saying something.  He let it crawl all over him, to the delighted shrieks of his daughters.


Here you can see it expanding its (already remarkable) size.  By now it was a little freaked out by all the commotion, so it unfurled its funny round wings, curled up its tail, and stretched its two front legs straight out in front of him.


WOW!!!

3 comments:

  1. Very impressive! And I'm glad you had Internet capability again. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can't believe I missed that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, that is one big insect...or whatever it is!

    ReplyDelete