Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Banda's Guestbook

During most of my time at language school I lived in a stone banda--the word for a temporary dwelling--"cottage" being the closest word I can think of to describe it in English.  There are only a few of these at Riverside Camp, so they are generally reserved for families.  However, there have not been as many language students this spring as usual, so I was allowed to keep my banda for quite some time, even after Shona left and I was the only inhabitant.  My good fortune finally ran out, though, and I moved back into a tent a few weeks ago.  I miss my banda!  (Especially my indoor bathroom!!)  

And so, "In Memorium" of happier days, I thought I would introduce some of the visitors/co-residents I hosted there.

Of course, there must be some interesting spiders...
This beast spanned at least 4 inches with his legs.  He's also flat enough to be considered two-dimensional.  I'm proud of this one, because after I took his picture, I squashed him.  Shona didn't want him in her room for some reason...  It was fun to play the hero; makes one braver than one would normally be.


A few good reasons for using mosquito nets at night:

(both of these about 3 inches long)


(this one more like 4 inches)


The things about bugs on an unfamiliar continent, I decided, is that you have no idea what they will do when you flick them away.  Say you confront an insect of unknown species--does it fly or not?  This is crucial, because if it does, it may not travel in the direction you expect when you brush it away... you may suddenly find it in front of your face instead of across the floor.

Moths come in all sorts.  I found this one particularly striking.


Moving away from creatures with exoskeletons...

Geckos and lizards made occasional appearnces.  This guy was about 8 inches long.


These were more common.  Admittedly, this picture was taken during my Easter weekend tent stay (extra visitors at camp then), but his cousins found me in the banda after that.  (They were my famous "Warring Geckos"--chasing each other noisily all through the night.)  I felt some comraderie for this particular gecko... I was pretty miserable about living in the tent, and he seemed suitably pitiful with his stump of a tail.


Upon moving back into the banda after Easter, I discovered a stowaway in my backpack.  As in, I felt/heard something inside while pulling out my books.  I recovered from the surprise before my fugitive did, or at least he was easily scooped into this little basket and didn't even try to jump out until after I had taken him over to the Kamphuises' for Michaja's examination.  (She didn't look quite as closely into the basket after he made his escape attempts.)  Thanks to André for taking the great photo.


Finally, the mammals.  I will say this:  If it's larger than two or three inches, it's not a mouse in my book.  Obviously, I should not write my book in Africa, because "mice" here are easily 6 inches long (not including tails).  So no, it's not a kitten in the picture below.  (I hear there are giant rats the size of footballs.  But they're shy; Shona saw one, but I haven't.)


Doormice were my most common housemates, becoming a sort of mascot of the banda.  I kind of enjoyed them--they're so stinkin' cute.  On the other hand, there were worries about what they would get into and whether the leaky (thatched) roof was the worse for their tunneling.  Thus we waged a recurring war, with three of their number falling to my traps over the course of the 10 weeks.  Funny thing was, the most telling indication of their presence was at the bathroom sink: my bar of soap.  They loved it, nibbled at it nightly.  It was one of the easiest ways to get a glimpse of this critter.  (Strange!?!)


So long, farewell, all my little friends.  My tent (this time) has been comparatively lonely.  There was this ugly, nondescript bug once... but otherwise I just listen to geckos and other things outside the canvas.  (A gecko's scramble has its own peculiar sound.)  Now if I ever get a look at the bush baby that crossed over the top of my tent in just a few bounds... that would be cool!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, until I scrolled down, I was totally taken in; I wondered what people you'd shared it with besides Shona! Except for the glowing eyes near the ceiling, your pet photos are attractive. I just hope African mosquitos are also large . . . too large to fit through the net.

    ReplyDelete