Musoma is a nice place, but it's not exactly a tourist destination. There's just not much "to do." We do, however, have one nice place: Lukuba. And Sunday I got to go for the first time.
A few of my teammates put together a day trip to the island and invited me to join them. The timing was perfect; I needed a get-away. October was pretty busy for me. The schedule I was keeping for a few weeks threatened to do me in. Last week was better in terms of my schedule, but I still felt worn out, the stress of the previous weeks catching up with me.
What a blessing to go to a quiet, pretty place and simply relax! The privacy sets you at ease. (Generally speaking, leaving your house means being on display to lots of curious eyes.) The lunch we were served was delicious, too. It was like being at a restaurant... something I haven't done since going out of town in September. I spent the day sitting in the shade on the beach and climbing around the rocky island.
The island is about an hour by boat from Musoma. Here is my first view of the retreat area. There are lounge chairs and a hammock along the beach, and tucked just behind the trees are bandas (small cottages) for the lucky people who stay nights. (Maybe next time...) The banda on the far right is the little dining hall.
See the monkey? I took this looking straight up from my chair on the beach. I was amused, but also nervous. Sure enough, one of its offspring later peed right on my head! The cute little buggers are everywhere, and we were careful not to leave our stuff out for them to get.
I went exploring with a simple goal: Get as high as possible, preferably climaxing on a boulder not covered in branches (in order to enjoy the scenery). I succeeded. The rock where I found myself commanded a nice view--almost 180 degrees--of our side of the island sloping down to Lake Victoria, with the mainland in the distance.
No comments:
Post a Comment