Sunday, October 3, 2010

First Days of School

Our team's homeschool co-op kicked off Monday, September 20.  The kids were so excited--and so was I! In fact, everyone involved seems to be enjoying themselves, from preschoolers to parents.  We expected a pretty crazy start.  Any first week of school is crazy, but this was brand new for all of us.  I, for one, was amazed by how well things went!  My students came ready to learn... eager to work, even!  All the kids are thrilled to have school together.

Most of these pictures were taken in the first couple days of school.  (We had two "first days":  School started on that Monday, and the twice-a-week preschool started on Tuesday.)  Welcome to Lake Victoria Learning Center!

These are the six daily students, representing three of our families.



The school entrance.  (Thanks to Michael for the panorama shots!)



Our school building at the front of the property.
(My house in right background, guards' shed in left.)



The first classroom is the domain of our oldest students: Tirzah (age 12) and sisters Kira (10) & Lianne (8).  Their moms teach most of their classes (pictured here is Tara Wimbush), but I get them twice a week for science!



Here are the girls at their brand-new (finished in time for the second day of school) desks.  Teacher Chris Gilmore is also the artist who gave each classroom a special paint job while I was gone.  The two trees framing the window in this room were the product of a special mother-daughter date.



The preschool room got racing stripes!  Here are parents Keren Brewerton, Kelly Nicholls, and Dorien Kamphuis.  (Kim Hill and Mitchell Wimbush also supervise this group.)  Students are Luke (3), Jack (3), Ben (3), Jessica (4), and barely-visible Michaja (4).



This is the room where I spend most of my time--the carnival!  Keren and Kim also teach some of the early primary classes.



The blue wall by the door is where we hung the giraffe growth chart, which is a hit for all ages.



I get to teach these kids each day!  Tessa (5) in front, Ella (6) in back...



... and Braden (7).  Mikayla (also 7) joins us on Tuesdays.



With other people taking the pictures, I'm actually in a few!



Tour's done!  One last shot from our class timeline, just for fun.


It's official!  We really started!

1 comment: