Working with Missionary Kids to Support Bible Translation in Tanzania
Saturday, April 30, 2011
Easter Weekend at Kakamega Rainforest
Sometimes you don't realize you need a break until you plan one. That was the case with me this month, at any rate. My friends had to convince me to come along. (The place they'd chosen gives a generous discount to missionaries, so that helped!) Once the decision was made I was suddenly ready to close school for a little while!
Good Friday through Tuesday were all Tanzanian public holidays, so my two teammates and I could take a nice long weekend trip to the rain forest in Kenya. We spent most of Friday in the car, and then we still had three full days before our return trip. We crossed the border and drove to the city of Kisumu--and there was Lake Victoria again. You could almost imagine the waves laughing--"You think you've left?!"
We stayed in a beautiful, peaceful retreat center inside the rain forest. In between delicious meals (including meat so impossibly tender I swore off any more Musoma restaurant meat for fear of grievous disappointment) we either explored the grounds and trails or relaxed on the long, wide veranda of our little house. I think that veranda earned a special place in our hearts! Not least because the staff would bring us tea and cakes each afternoon. :) In the days before our trip I had enjoyed the break from teaching, but I didn't think I was ready to start again. I had to get out of town and relax in God's creation--and then it was easy to imagine school resuming in a few days!
God's creation certainly put on a magnificent display. We hiked through the rain forest to a nearby river the very first morning. The sheer density of the forest was incredible.
My neck got a workout as I tried to look in all directions... while walking down the damp, slippery path! Even attempting to be selective about things to photograph, I was whipping out my camera every few minutes. From the ever-changing view around me to tiny details I would almost miss--just amazing. I took a special interest in the diversity of fungi.
I returned from that walk determined to incorporate this place into future rain forest studies. And I don't think many parents would mind taking their kids on this field trip!
Sunday morning we got up before the sun (literally) and made our way up a hill to wait for its appearance. I think I was awake by the time we got there! As the sky lightened, my friends and I read aloud the account of the first Easter morning. Then the sun peeked out above the hills and illuminated the river valley below us. To think we were looking down on all those tall trees we'd hiked through the day before! It was truly beautiful, and a memorable way to celebrate Christ's resurrection.
I found plenty to marvel at within the retreat center itself. The whole place was like one huge garden--with so many different flowers!
There were also short trails in the forest behind the gardens. You could wander down the paths on your own, and along the way you'd come across benches placed in particularly inviting spots. As I walked I found myself thinking, This may be the most beautiful place I've ever been in! For sheer variety--every few steps, something new--I'm not sure I've seen anything like it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
For more pictures, see my facebook album. ;)
ReplyDelete