Thursday, December 15, 2011

I Get Four Kids!

That's right, I went from my carefree single life (ha!) to suddenly being responsible for four others, ages 7-14.  For two weeks, that is. :)

This came about because my good friends, Greg and Allison Despres, finally got permission to travel to China and adopt their little daughter.  I am so thankful that I was around for this time and that there was a way I could help.  The Despres kids are special to me; I have loved watching them grow up.  Thus I was thrilled to stay with them while their parents were gone.

We had fun, and the kids were such troopers to be so long without their parents.  In fact, I was impressed with how patient they were with me.  Here I was in their house, and I knew nothing about their routines or even how their home life works.  They were very helpful, always ready to explain.  (For example, I remember asking, "So you have a basketball game tonight, and you just stay at school the whole time, and I take you home afterwards.  But how and when do you eat?")  Was it crazy?  Yes.  Consuming?  Yes.  But it went well.  God even protected them from injuries until the second week--when their grandmother was back in town and available!

We all went out to Buffalo Wild Wings one night with their grandfather.  In fact, there were several fun outings with grandparents!
A trip to Traders' Village with my brother (and a friend of theirs)

The younger two came to my house once, and this k'nex roller coaster was the result:



I even got them to help me mail newsletters! :)

Meanwhile, other folks from our church gave the backyard a complete makeover--a surprise for Allison!




Thanks to the wonders of video skype, the kids got to talk to their parents almost every day, even with the 14-hour time difference!

This was the first time they saw their new little sister, Sienna!  Their grandparents live right down the street, so they came over to chat sometimes, too.

It was neat to see how so many people came together to help this family.  People brought meals, took the kids on special outings, gave rides to and from basketball practice... and more!

Finally it was time to welcome them home!
Their shirts read: "My parents went to China and brought home more than a t-shirt"

Following the Despres' adoption story, including the adjustment going on now, has been a testimony to God's blessings in the midst of many challenges.  If you'd like to see more, check out their blog:

One of my favorite pictures from their first days with Sienna (in China).
Used with permission... along with my own pictures and the whole story! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment