I refueled by getting out of town. I love my work in Musoma, but I find it hard to rest well here. For that reason, I try to plan periodic get-aways... and I was overdue! In fact, I nearly didn't go at all, with finances being tight. But various friends encouraged me to go, affirming my own conviction that a good break would be wise. Now here I am, just arrived home again, and I am so thankful that I listened!
So where did I go? I went to a retreat/conference in Kenya for Christians working in East Africa. It's held every New Year at the Brackenhurst Conference Center outside Nairobi. The center itself is gorgeous, with all this lush green grass everywhere. You step out of the car and feel like peace is creeping in through the air you breathe. And the food--! You eat so well, so often, it's just pure bliss.
| Photo from the conference website; I forgot to take my own! |
One afternoon a group of us went for a walk in the surrounding tea fields. I've always liked seeing the fields as we drive through Kenya's hill country. The uniform height of the low bushes makes the hills appear to be carpeted. We even met a British woman whose family planted the first tea in the area a hundred years ago. She told us all about the process of growing, picking, and processing the tea--it's quite fascinating!
As great as all that is, the true refueling came from hearing the Word of God skillfully proclaimed every morning and evening. Ken Mbugua, a young Kenyan pastor, taught us earnestly and passionately from Joshua and 1 Peter. I found myself longing to truly anchor my mind to eternal things instead of being constantly swayed by temporary things that demand my attention. That is what I want in the new year, to keep my focus on our great future hope, to work and pray with heaven in mind.
The trip had its challenges. We were only a day's drive from Musoma but at a higher altitude and without the mitigating effects of Lake Victoria. Basically, my friends and I suddenly found ourselves in a place 20 degrees (F) cooler than warm-all-year Musoma. Of course, we had brought every article of warm clothing we own. (In case you're curious, for me that meant digging out socks, two long sleeved shirts, two light sweaters, and one sweatshirt... which got soaked by the rain the first night & didn't dry for another couple days.) It's kind of fun to experience a little cold, such a novelty! The fact is, though, that out of eleven Musomans there (6 adults, 5 kids), eleven of us were sick at one point or another. Glad I thought to bring cough drops!
After the conference we spent a few days in Nairobi before heading back home. In spite of one day when several of us got really sick (cause still unknown, food poisoning having been ruled out), we still got to enjoy our favorite Nairobi treats. Treats such as eating out at restaurants and buying home & school supplies unavailable in Musoma. We even got to see The Hobbit, a treat some of us had long been hoping would be possible!
I am very grateful for this trip, and I hope I can begin this new year well!
No comments:
Post a Comment