Saturday, March 23, 2013

Investing in the Next Generation

The missionary kids I teach have to be some of the most awesome kids on the planet. I treasure the days when a window opens into their hearts and I see how God is growing them. Last week I gave one of my students (age 9) a choice of writing topics, and he chose to imagine his life as an adult. Here is his composition:
Braden at Age 35
My name is Braden Gilmore, and I live in Africa. My job is translating the Bible with SIL in Tanzania, following my parents' footsteps. I own a float plane, and I fly to remote villages to find people who don't know about God. I have a wife and three kids: two boys and one girl. We have three dogs and one cat. My hobby is to make things for my kids to play in and things for other people. We thank God for bringing us to Africa to help others know about him. 
Braden flying his float plane

Braden reminded me that he doesn't really know what he will do when he grows up, and I assured him that I understand. I find it significant, though, that of all the possible lives he could have imagined for himself, he chose a life focused on spreading the knowledge of God. Whatever life holds for him, may he keep a heart for God and for people!

No comments:

Post a Comment