When I first moved into this house, I thought the tree growing on one side was some sort of wild orange tree. Regular oranges here can be quite tart themselves, so I didn't bother to try a wild one. More recently, I've discovered another citrus fruit sold seasonally here: tangerines. I sampled one of the things in my yard, and sure enough, I have my own supply, right about this time every year!
A word about these tangerines (maybe more than one): Delicious. Juicy. Flavorful. Sweet. They remind me of clementines, except much bigger. In Swahili, one is a chenza, which I think is beautiful. Anyway, they're great.
And I have heaps of them. Literally.
We can't pick them fast enough! My guards take home bags of them, and still the machenza fall to the ground, where they split open for the ants. Despite my ravings over these tangerines, I can often forget to eat one during a busy day--even though I leave them out on the table, in plain sight! That's irrelevant, though. I could eat one at every meal, and still my consumption would not match the supply.
Now, however, we have finished the school semester, and I finally took a little time to try juicing my tangerines. The experiment was a definite success! The juice is delicious on its own, no sugar needed. I happened to have a couple passion fruit (also from my property!) that needed eating, so I added their juice to this first batch for a little extra tang. I love juice, so the future is looking bright!
| The two tangerines are actually smaller than normal. (The big ones got juiced!) Notice the color, though! They seem best when they're just starting to turn yellow. |
With my luck, tangerine season will now finish, just when I'm ready to cash in on all this free, delicious fruit. That's okay--I'll be traveling soon, anyway. And next year, I'll be ready!
No comments:
Post a Comment