The strange thing is, I'm not sure it's gotten through my head that I'm going. For the last few months this job has consumed my attention. Investigating the possibility of teaching in Tanzania became a series of exciting revelations as each new thing I heard made me all the more ready to accept. The last five weeks have been full of my feverish preparations for departure. You would think that someone who's about to move to a country on the other side of the world, to a continent she's never even visited, would be trying to mentally prepare herself for this transition.
You might think that, but you would be mistaken in my case! I have moved many times, and the constant uprooting seems to have produced in me an intense concentration on wherever I happen to be at any given time. (Extra tidbit: My mom was recently describing me as someone who likes to have roots. She suggested that, given my mobility, perhaps I most resemble a potted plant.) Living in the present may have its drawbacks, but these days it's helping me to enjoy "last" things... it will be a while before I experience this life again.
Am I excited to embark on this new adventure? Yes! Am I torn at the thought of leaving my home and the people I love? Yes!
This is not to say that I am living in denial. Preparations continue; I just think transition is strange. I know it's happening, but it's like I don't believe it, despite plenty of evidence. Such as:
- Both of my shoulders were aching earlier this week from numerous injections--no yellow fever for me!
- Our guest room has various suitcases lying in wait, and piles are developing around them... "to take", "to ship"...
- My visits with friends have that final tinge to them.
- Swahili words are starting to make their way into my vocabulary, thanks to nightly Rosetta Stone sessions.
- A plane ticket was purchased yesterday(!), in faith really, because I'm not exactly sure what the final numbers for my support will be.
- I allowed myself a "last hurrah" trip to Half Price Books... my library was low on early readers. (I also now have the next half dozen titles from the Master and Commander series, so that will keep me busy for a while.)
Just trying this part out, can't wait to see photos!
ReplyDeleteHallie and I are excited for you! May God share His love through you to all those around you.
ReplyDelete