Thursday, June 11, 2009

... and Fauna

I've already devoted blog entries to my more spectacular finds (giant stick insect, hippo).  But these creepy-crawlies are interesting, too.

I took this picture during my first week at camp.  All those little specks are ants.  They form long highways, piling on top of each other along the sides in countless numbers.  The camp staff would wipe them out, but the next day more would take their place!


A couple normal critters... supersized.


This one sure looks like a caterpillar--but then what does it turn into?


Seeing a locust in real life... they're BIG.


Millipede!  (discovered right outside my tent)


Big Ugly Bug

This photo earned me persecution from André, who accused me of cruelty to smaller beings because I nudged this thing back onto the road with the toe of my shoe so I could get its picture.  I was delighted to return the favor when he was later trying to photograph another hapless victim.

These lizards turn brilliant colors in the mating season.


Riverside Camp has its three macsots: the kanga, or guinea fowl.  As far as I can tell, their main purpose it to provide entertainment for the preschool set.  Michaja (and now Elisa) is determined to catch one.


1 comment: