Despite the boring name, "group day," I am really excited about this! I've been hoping and planning for it since last year. In our area we have some missionary families, both from our team and from other organizations, who cannot use our co-op as the main school for their children. However, they all desire opportunities for their kids to get out of the house and spend time with other kids. So this semester we are trying a new format: one day each week for all the kids to come together for some special group activities. Thanks to several talented, servant-hearted folks, our first few group days have been a success!
We begin the morning with a Bible session for all the kids. (Sunday school is another thing not usually available to the kids here.) I lead that "class", but for the rest of the morning I am usually just assistant or facilitator. I'm so thankful for the people who contribute far more than I could on my own!
After Bible time, we divide the kids by age. The elementary kids get Art class with drawing lessons from Shelley.
Kelly Nicholls, one of the parents, leads the preschool. I'm often around to help with these precious (but active!) little ones, and I can report that Kelly does a wonderful job with them, preparing all sorts of fun activities.
After the chai break we further the divide the older kids, this time by gender. A married couple on our team are graciously investing in these kids, Eric with the boys and Allison with the girls. The girls have been SO excited about the chance to take ballet lessons! Yes, ballet lessons!
Right now we only have two older boys, so athletics are limited. :( Undaunted, Eric leads them in various fitness and skill exercises.
Before the kids leave, I try to give them some library time, so they can take a few new books home. Shelley or I will also read a story aloud to wrap things up. All in all, it's a pretty neat program! (I can say that because I do so little of it!) As we proceed, we'll see what else we can build in.
One video for you, to give you a taste of what I enjoy each week. :) The kids are faithfully memorizing the verses I assign them, and they each recite for me on the following Friday. We have kids from the USA, Australia, New Zealand, and the Netherlands. (If you turn your volume up, you may hear Luke's response to my compliments at the very end--ha ha!)
No comments:
Post a Comment