Sunday, February 26, 2012

New Year, New Students


We are two weeks into our new semester!  For now, there are five daily students--and each of them is new to the co-op in one way or another.  The Bitikofer family has just moved to Musoma, the Brewerton girls were only occasional participants last year, and young Mr. Nicholls, now 5, is starting regular school for the first time.  Also, I have a new colleague: Shelley, who helped another family while I was gone, is here to share the teaching responsibility.  Lots of new things!

In the mornings I work with the younger two students while Shelley teaches the big kids.  Luke and Jessica are such sweethearts!


Luke has begun the reading journey.  He read his first words for me last Tuesday!

Half-way through the morning, we take a break for chai.  After a drink and a snack the kids play in the yard.




Shelley also gives piano lessons!



This year kids stay into the afternoons, so they bring their lunches.



Before returning to the classroom, I read aloud to them. (Right now we're reading Star of Light by Patricia St. John.)  The kids play quietly while they listen... and complain loudly when I stop!



Our last part of the day is the Africa unit study I do with the big kids (and Jessica).  The kids are all different ages and levels, so it's fun to get them together for one class.

Nikki working on her notebook

One day we had a surprise visitor!

There you have it, a day at Lake Victoria Learning Center in its present form.  That is, on any of the days from Monday to Thursday.  Friday is a little different.  I'll have to do another post about that sometime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment