There are two acquisitions, made possible by generous people, that have made this second term in Tanzania that much smoother than my first. One is a little washing machine.
I was able to get this early in the year, thanks to some send-off gifts. It's just wonderful to throw in my clothes and a little later take them straight to the clothesline! (Assuming there is electricity, water, and the intake tubes are not clogged, thanks to the dirty water.) Last term I made regular trips to the houses of gracious teammates who let me use their machines. This is so much easier!
Then there is my kindle, purchased before I returned to Tanzania when someone gave me a gift "to get yourself something."
I think I could just about say that this little gadget has changed my life. I love to read; I always have a book going. I read before bed to "shut down" my mind for the night, so at least that much reading happens every day, even when I'm busy. Last term I had to be very careful--because when I finished a certain book, what would I read next? Shipping books all the time gets pricey! With the kindle, I'm just reveling in my ongoing access to reading material.
There are also a couple things I've been enjoying in recent months. Thanks to increasing internet options, I can now watch football! ;)
I enjoy watching team sports, even just part of a game while I eat supper, and this is the first time I've been able to watch much at all while in Musoma. (World Cup 2010 was a nice exception.) I won't write a lot here, since I featured this little fun thing in an entry not long ago.
One more little blessing: my new kitten, Orio.
I love cats, but only now have I felt ready to take on the responsibility of owning one in Musoma. Pets are always a responsibility, and my life here adds some challenges. What will I do when I travel (which happens a lot)? How will I keep my house comfortable for teammates with cat allergies? Not to mention the fact that pet food is not for sale in Musoma.
Now that I've decided to take on the challenges, I am so happy to have my crazy little bundle of fur! I wouldn't say I'm lonely, but it is fun to have a creature to love in an otherwise empty house. To see more cute kitten pictures, click here.
Little things, yes, but still blessings!

No comments:
Post a Comment